Monday 9 May 2016

"Independence"

I am thinking this morning about the pro's and con's of independence and why so many of us want to be independent. It's probably because independent people hate that others have abused or ruled over them. In my childhood I so much wanted to be independent myself and was such much in rebellion against my parents, mostly because of my mother's strict "rule" over me. My rebellion did not make me a free person; in fact it made me very lonely. And I so much wanted to be loved. This is the dilemma: you can't be an independent person and at the same time want unity. You have to choose and you have to give up one or the other.

But when we deeply love we will gladly give up our independence. I have found this to be so true. I have found people in my life that have loved me hard and have loved me deeply. They have been so kind to me that God has formed a bond of friendship and made me vulnerable to His goodness. Now I can enjoy a deep unity with them that is healthy, uplifting and strong.

So the only way out of independence and loneliness is to choose love. Ultimately we have to realize that God loved us first by giving His own Son Jesus Christ. This is the starting point to make us capable of loving in the same way (1 John 4:19 and John 3:16). This kind of love will help us and bring a healthy dependence towards each other and to God. Loneliness will be put away and the bond of friendship will establish something so beautiful and strong in us.

It is my prayer that we all take a hold of each other and God. Let's take a bold step towards depending on each other and on God. Let's be vulnerable to His goodness and be Ambassadors of dignity and kindness wherever we go.
Much love,
-Suzanne  

Psalm 133:1-3 NKJV
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is 
For brethren to dwell together in unity!
It is like the precious oil upon the head, 
Running down on the beard,
The beard of Aaron, Running down on the edge of his garments.  
It is like the dew of Hermon,
Descending upon the mountains of Zion; 
For there the Lord commanded the blessing—
Life forevermore.

Song of Solomon 8:6 NKJV
Set me as a seal upon your heart,
As a seal upon your arm;
For love is as strong as death,
Jealousy as cruel as the grave;
Its flames are flames of fire,
A most vehement flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment