Sunday 27 July 2014

"Take To Heart"

“He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise. He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding” (Proverbs 15:31 & 32 NIV).

 


Why is it that when it really gets bad, we finally listen and do what we are supposed to do?

I recently had an appointment at the dental hygienist and I have to admit that somewhere in the corner of my heart there was some hidden guilt. Why? I very well knew for years that I needed to floss my teeth, but I simply didn’t have what it took to follow through. The hygienist cleaned my teeth as usual, knowing that I hadn’t flossed at all and so I was glad that it was soon over so that I could go back home.


But unfortunately the doctor also wanted to see me and take a closer look at the x-rays that had been taken. This time he was not all understanding, but gave me a life-giving rebuke! He said that if I would not floss my teeth daily I would eventually start losing them. I tell you his words were like an arrow that pierced the center of my heart and this time I was forced to take it to heart. I sensed in his words such an earnest concern for me and my teeth.

Today we are living in a day and age where not a lot of people dare to correct God’s way. And when the correction does come, it is rejected by many. My doctor took the initiative and the responsibility to correct me. I took it to heart, I applied it to my life, and my gums have stopped bleeding. So please do not get offended when a person that stands in authority and carries responsibility takes the time to correct you. Take it to heart because this is God’s way to give you life, wisdom and understanding.

Have a wonderfully blessed day!

Suzanne Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment