Monday 15 October 2012

"Lay Down Your Life"

“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers” (1 John 3:16 NIV).


In the last while I had been thinking a lot about this verse. Since my husband and I are discipling people I had to ask myself in my daily interaction with people if I could seriously die for another person like Jesus did for us on the cross of Calvary.

No, I couldn’t, but as I continued in this chapter the Lord answered my question right in verse 17. It says there that” whosoever has this world’s goods and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?” God is so gracious, He was asking me to make small sacrifices so that I could exercise dying to myself, my selfishness and my own will and so be made able to grow in His love.
 
You might be facing the same kind of situations and questions. You have come across this verse as well and want to know what it means to lay down your life for somebody. I want to help you here and tell you that you die to yourself by making one good choice at a time in favor of another person’s life. Selfless choices are for example that you humble yourself instead of being prideful, putting others needs first, choosing to remain silent when you could say something, asking for forgiveness even when the other person also made a mistake.

I tell you, that’s really a small sacrifice compared to the vast love of God that can be yours today!

Have a wonderfully blessed day!

Suzanne Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment