Sunday 27 December 2009

“Free Yourself”

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" (Hebrews 12, 1 NIV).

In one of my previous devotionals I shared about the clematis that had been growing so nicely in our garden. Well, here is another story about this wondrous plant. We had gone on a trip for about 2 weeks and when we returned I was so anxious to see the growth in the garden. You know, when you are gone for a while you see much more growth than if you are around the garden every single day. To my surprise this clematis had practically overtaken the whole flowerbed. What looked quite nice in the beginning looked now awful. Taking a closer look at this growth I was amazed to see how it had entangled all the plants and the rose bush in such a short time. As I started to cut the clematis I looked at how it had grown around the plants. It indeed had become a nuisance; it was annoying and a burden. After cutting through the many branches I finally saw our flowerbed freed from this ugly growth. It was quite amazing, because step by step, day by day this clematis moved forward like a snake until it had overcome our beautiful flowerbed. At this moment the LORD reminded me of this verse in Hebrews 12:1 and opened my eyes to the characteristic of sin in our lives.

You know, if you do not watch it, sin will entangle you and choke your life. What looks quite insignificant at first will soon become ugly and burdensome to you. You need to daily be aware of this danger and throw off everything that will hinder you. Do not wait for any sin to grow root in you but use every opportunity to resist that very enemy that wants to destroy the freedom in your life. And this is the key to free yourself and to enjoy your walk in divine victory.

Have a wonderfully blessed day!

Suzanne Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment